Sunday, February 10, 2008

Is It Over?!

Hollywood's long writers strike could be coming to end. On Saturday, February 10th, union leaders representing 12,000 movie and television writers said they had reached a tentative three-year deal with production companies. The three month long strike began on November 5th has not officially ended but the New York meeting on Saturday was full of optimism. It is expected the strike be over as soon as Monday morning. The end of the strike means great news for producers. The strike has been the longest writers strike since 1988 causing tens of thousands people to lose their jobs. The strike effected a number of TV shows like "Grey's anatomy" and "CSI" forcing networks to air reruns. There has also been an increase in reality shows since they don't require scripts. The end of the strike would also be great news to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences who are planning for Oscar night on February 24th. Late night talk shows like, "The Late Show with David Letterman" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" would immediately benefit from the end of the strike. Other TV series might take 2 week to return to production. However, weaker shows might not return at all.


For me, I couldn't be more thrilled that the strike is about to come to an end. I am an avid TV watcher so this strike ending is a dream come true for me. Plenty of the shows I watch were effected by the strike. I was stuck watching reruns of my favorite shows every week. When the writers strike first began back in November, I didn't quite understand what it meant. I hadn't thought it would last as long as it did. Also, before the writers strike, I never really thought of how important the writers jobs were. Now that it is about to end, I certainly appreciate their jobs much more now. I really hope they never go on strike ever again!


LINK!

0 comments: