Tuesday, May 6, 2008

In The Heights

Before hearing anything about In the Heights, I really did not know what to expect from it. Since I heard it was a musical, I thought I wouldn’t like the play too much, but I was wrong. My expectations were well exceeded, as the play’s music, plot and acting were amazing, I guess that’s why it was on Broadway. The star of the play, who also wrote the play, was Lin-Manuel Miranda, who plays Usnavi, a Dominican bodega owner who is a part of a community that is like no other. Besides owning the bodega, he also takes care of his little cousin Sonny, played by Robin de Jesus. Usnavi’s character is a very well scripted character and Miranda makes the character even better. His energy in his raps is very high and gets the audience really wrapped (no pun intended) up in the raps. Overall I thought this was a very well acted out play, as the characters really showed a close Latino community. The portrayal of characters were so convincing it brought back memories for me of the neighborhood I went to school in for 10 years where it consisted of mostly Hispanics. It really felt like I was watching a real street corner where people were coming together. All the actors’ energy, ethnic backgrounds and acting abilities really brought to life Washington Heights on Broadway.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

very well written its like Osama ur genuis bro wrote it